| ]



The thought of making a phone call can cause some people to start panicking terribly. Thinking of all the bad things that could happen will not help you, especially if you have to make the call anyway. Instead, think of how you can improve your phone conversation.


Here are some typical phrases that you can use in a telephone conversation.

Answering the phone
عند الرد على الهاتف

Hello? (informal) 
Thank you for calling Boyz Autobody. Jody speaking. How can I help you? 
Doctor's office.

Introducing yourself
عندما تريد تقديم نفسك

Hey George. It's Lisa calling. (informal) 
Hello, this is Julie Madison calling. 
Hi, it's Gerry from the dentist's office here. 

Asking to speak with someone
عندما تريد التحدث مع شخص ( غير المجيب )

Is Fred in? (informal) 
Is Jackson there, please? (informal) 
Can I talk to your sister? (informal) 
May I speak with Mr. Green, please? 
Would the doctor be in/available?

Connecting someone
عندما يطلب منك المجيب الإنتظار

Just a sec. I'll get him. (informal) 
Hang on one second. (informal) 
Please hold and I'll put you through to his office. 
One moment please. 
All of our operators are busy at this time. Please hold for the next available person.

Making special requests
عند الطلب

Could you please repeat that? 
Would you mind spelling that for me? 
Could you speak up a little please? 
Can you speak a little slower please. My English isn't very strong. 
Can you call me back? I think we have a bad connection. 
Can you please hold for a minute? I have another call.

Taking a message for someone
عندما تريد من المجيب ان يبلغ رسالة لشخص

Yes, can you tell him his wife called, please. 
No, that's okay, I'll call back later. 
Yes, it's James from CompInc. here. When do you expect her back in the office? 
Thanks, could you ask him to call Brian when he gets in? 
Do you have a pen handy. I don't think he has my number. 
Thanks. My number is 222-3456, extension 12.

Leaving a message on an answering machine
عندما تريد ترك رساله على المجيب الآلي

Hey Mikako. It's Yuka. Call me! (informal) 
Hello, this is Ricardo calling for Luke. Could you please return my call as soon as possible. My number is 334-5689. Thank you. 
Hello Maxwell. This is Marina from the doctor's office calling. I just wanted to let you know that you're due for a check-up this month. Please give us a ring/buzz whenever it's convenient.